News: Do you want to have your say about adult social care?

Call for research participants:

If you are a disabled person in Northern Ireland who has experience of adult social care, we would like to interview you for a piece of research called “Is It Me?” How attitudes in the adult social care system impact on the independent living choices for disabled people.”

We want to find out from disabled people how attitudes towards them, good or bad, have impacted upon their social care and on their choices and experiences of independent living. These attitudes might come directly from staff delivering the services, or from the policies and management of adult care services.

Adult social care can be provided by Trusts, the voluntary and community sector or privately. It can include:

  • Day care
  • Domiciliary care (care in

the home)

  • Nursing home care
  • Residential home care
  • Meals on Wheels
  • Social work
  • Respite
  • Information/Advice/


  • Provision of equipment

We believe that disabled people have great expertise because they have lived experience of this issue. We really want to hear what disabled people have to say. These interviews will form the backbone of our research.

We are conducting interviews now. We can to arrange for the researcher to meet you near where you live, or we can arrange to do interviews over the phone, or online. If you would like to be interviewed please contact the DRILL researcher Darlene Corry by phone on 028 9029 7880 or email her at [email protected]

This is a research project led by Disability Action NI through the DRILL (Disability Research on Independent Living and Learning) Programme. The research is being done in co-production with disability activists who understand the rights of disabled people and adult social care.

For further information about the project please follow the link is it me how do attitudes within the social care system impact on the independent living choices of disabled people


Blog and News archives